Saturday, March 28, 2009

Math and ELL

I am teaching measurements to third graders. You know, the typical three feet to a yard, twelve inches to a foot and the unit capacity, pints, quarts, gallons. For many, they grew up hearing these terms when looking for living space, travelling, cooking, or measuring for everyday living. I had the opportunity to see the confusion with ELL students. Think about it - three feet to a yard. Just imagine, someone telling you that three of your feet equals your front yard - what?!?! My feet, whose feet? My yard, the school yard? Oh my! During the time I allowed for math games, I took aside the ELL students and visually demonstrated twelve inches by using a ruler while explaining this is another definition of foot/feet. We then worked with yardsticks to "see" how these three feet or rulers equals one of these sticks. I was patient, I allowed the long silences for them to process this. We used large pieces of poster paper to "calculate" how 27 feet equals nine yards. Quietly, we all looked at our drawings and then the aha moment came, more like a "Ooohhhh!" The rest of the lesson finished quickly. What a rush!

2 comments:

  1. So, when your teaching by yourself in the classroom, do you think there is room for you to do that type of demonstration "whole class"? Would it work that way too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 30 3rd graders in math; when the majority understands, we have to move on as to "keep that pace." I have one and a half days a week for math games so I can have time with those students who require the extra time to understand concepts such as feet/yard/pints/quarts. I just did this very same thing with the nine times table. I took each student individually during other quiet moments throughout the day to teach visually, with blocks, and with fingers how the nine times table works. It is a lot of work - no time to rest but it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete