Thursday, April 2, 2009

Compassion in the classroom

Last a week a couple of my cohortateers and I were talking about how we and our MT's seem to differ on our responses to our students in the classroom when the tears start flowing, or a bad mood is in the air or there is general disobedience.

I think we all had a general sense of - are our MT's hardened to the emotional needs of our kids? or are we just so green at what we are doing that our own responses and sensitivities need to be toned down?

personally, i always want to take the compassionate stance in the classroom. but 25 kids, one teacher, and a crunch for time seems to amputate this part of teaching. from what i see, there is no room for social and emotional enrichment, guidance, coaching... whatever you want to call it. i mean, it just seems the kids are out to fend for themselves in a major way (this doesn't include issues like bullying), especially when they are disappointed or hurt by a friend, or frustrated with a teacher. there is no space to adequately deal with those issues... aren't they just as important?

-hux

1 comment:

  1. I sometimes wonder if there is a difference between the ones who are parents and the ones who are not. My MT is not a parent while I am and I do notice the differences between handling behavioral problems. Positive versus negative energy wins.

    ReplyDelete